Monday, June 22, 2015

Taken by Surprise

Hi everyone not sure why but Cancer still takes me by surprise.  

I got to meet my surgeon yesterday it has taken 18 months to get in (I KNOW) but that's not for today.  

We reviewed my file and all the oncology notes and such.  To my surprise when he said I have to have a double mastectomy (well 1.5 mastectomy) To hear the surgeon say it shock me to my core. I knew this was coming but I don't think you can really prepare yourself to hear that out loud.  

It is an all day surgery and I don't have the date yet; but here is the plan. 
One team remove what I have left and then a second team will reconstruct my chest. I will get leg compression set up before I go into surgery to reduce blood clots (that's cool just like a pro cyclist) I am going a little bit smaller so apparently a littler easier to do.  I am not having implants put in.  Not that there is anything wrong with that but I don't want any stuff in my chest.  If this was just a breast enhancement sure but this is cancer.  So because no implants we are going to use my own tissue to rebuild, yes you got it my tummy will be my chest.  I am looking forward to seeing how that pans out.  He told me it is where the tissue comes from will hurt the most and I will have scares. I laughed scares are no problem they are my badges of survival I am very proud of them.

My nipples are a two part process of some fancy needlepoint done by the surgeon and then once all heeled some tattooing. Yup a bionic chest.

I am still keeping my head up and positive.  I will keep you posted on when but for now.  I will continue to get as strong as possible.  I will be more than cancer and more than this event. 

I WILL FIGHT FOR ME

No comments:

Post a Comment