Sunday, September 6, 2015

New and Happy

Hi Everyone;

As you know 3 weeks ago I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction.  I choose not to have implants. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of having something foreign in my body, ok for some just not for me. They took my tummy fat and skin and rebuilt me.  It was a tissue transplant that took 12.5 hours. I know that's a long time to be on the table, but I did great.

So with that process I also lost my nipples.  And I am totally ok with that.  I love my new boobs, don't get me wrong I still have drainage tubes in and huge swelling but I already love them.  

When they took my nipples that area had to be replaced with skin from my tummy, but in a strange turn of events you see with my tummy skin you can see stretch marks they got moved too.  I think it is the most amazing thing because it says to me, this is still me and so me I love them.  I didn't want to look artificial after everything was finished and I don't it's still all me.  Strangely validating! With the tissue transplant all the extra stuff left over went in the trash, so I now have a very flat tummy, also very swollen with drainage tubes.

My amazing new boobs and flat tummy are a gift that I treasure and thank god for the most amazing surgical team in the world.  

Maybe once all the swelling goes down and the tubes are out I will post a picture, we aren't that brave yet :)


I WILL FIGHT FOR ME

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you blogging again. I was diagnosed on Aug 26, got the Leap magazine and read you blog from the beginning. It was tremendously helpful to me and when I read your last blog it confirmed my decision to go with the full right mastectomy rather than just a lumpectomy and radiation. Your blogging has been so helpful to me.
    Thank you, and all the best.
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edie, thank you for leaving your comment I never really know if anyone is out there. I am glad I was able to help, if you need anything please let me know. Good Luck with your surgery. Celebrate your decision and everything you are going though you are worth it - so now repeat after me I WiLL FIGHT FOR ME

      Delete